What is the Salimpour format? And how can it help your bellydance technique and musicality, whatever your style?
Find out in this workshop with Anna Kemper of Small World Bellydance (Suhaila Salimpour’s official UK sponsor) who will be bringing this unique dance training format to Manchester for the first time this Spring!
In this three-hour workshop, Anna will introduce the dance training formats created by Jamila and Suhaila Salimpour. More information about the Suhaila and Jamila formats below.
The workshop will be held in a beautiful purpose-built dance studio at Chorlton High School, and places are limited to 15 to ensure plenty of space and personal attention.
Date: Saturday the 2nd of February, 12 – 3pm
- Early bird booking – £35 before January 5th.
- Full price – £40 if booked after January 5th
Venue: Chorlton High School dance studio (directions to studio), Nell Lane, Manchester M21 7SL (free onsite parking, or a short walk from St Werburgh’s Road metrolink)
What to bring & wear: Wear comfortable exercise clothes you can easily move in, and bare feet or soft dance slippers. You may want to bring a yoga mat for the warmup. Finger cymbals are optional – bring them if you would like an extra challenge!
Salimpour format workshop with Anna Kemper
Book now to secure your place for this 3 hour workshop, covering the Jamila Salimpour and Suhaila Salimpour bellydance formats. Workshop limited to 15 places.
Alternatively, if you’d rather pay by BACS or cheque, please email me on firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Suhaila and Jamila formats
The Suhaila Salimpour format is a revolutionary technique that has brought the art of Belly Dance to a new level. Suhaila format breaks down bellydance movements Muscularly and enables dancers to develop true muscular intelligence. The format clarifies isolations and technique and can be applied to all styles of dance including tribal, cabaret, Egyptian, Turkish and fusion styles.
Jamila Salimpour is “the grandmother of American bellydance”. Her format has had an impact on all belly dancers but is specifically credited as a a major inspiration for American Tribal Style and Tribal Fusion Belly Dance. Jamila format develops improvisation skills and finger cymbal proficiency and is based in vintage bellydance stylization.
Dancers who have studied with the Salimpour school make up a “who’s who” of American bellydance celebrities, and include Sadie Marquadt, Rachel Brice, Aziza of Montreal, Zoe Jakes, Rachel George, Kami Liddle and many more…
Directions to the dance studio
The dance studio at Chorlton High School is located in the sports building, not in the main school building. To get to it from the main school car park:
- Start in the main school car park, facing the school buildings
- To the right of the school reception as you look at it, there is a walkway that goes around the outside of the building
- Follow the walkway around, past the bike racks and table tennis tables, until you come to an open yard
- The sports block is on your right, with an entrance at the far corner
- Inside of the sports block, you will find the dance studio on the first floor, on the right hand side of the corridor just after the toilets
Facilities & accessibility: There are changing rooms on the ground floor of the sports block, which you are welcome to use if needed, and toilets on the first floor next to the studio. There is step-free access to the studio.
- Find out more about one-to-one bellydance coaching with Rachael
- Monthly dance development workshops in Didsbury Village